Customized insole: what it is, what its purpose is and how much it costs.
In TONUS Foot laboratory we know that for the best psycho-physical well-being of a person, it is extremely important to be able to move without pain and discomforts. The motto of our company is WALK HAPPILY!
What is a customized insole?
The orthopedic insole is an orthopedic device and its production is regulated by our national health system. The insole is designed and created following a medical prescription and can be used only by the patient it is produced for.
Our customized insole looks like a regular insole, but the technology and the material used to produce it are completely different.
What is the purpose of a customized insole?
The insole is designed and created to prevent, compensate and correct postural attitudes of the foot, the ankle, or of the other body structures connected (knee, hip, back etc…).
The main and more frequent pathologies for which the insole is designed and its use is proven to be extremely efficient are:
- Flat foot and its opposite the pronated foot, for kids and adults
- Cavus foot
- Hallux valgus
- Morton Syndrom
- Plantar fasciitis, talalgia, tallodinie, tendinitis, tendinosis of the Achilles tendon.
- Muscle-tendinous issues
- Diabetic foot needs.
How does the insole works?
The insoles modify the biomechanics of the locomotor system completely, changing the way the foot lays on the ground and the forces applied on ankle-foot-insole-footwear-ground during the movement.
- Increasing of the bearing surface of the sole of the foot reducing the negative forces applied on specific areas: the larger is the bearing surface the lower are the forces applied.
- Thanks to the shock-absorbing materials used, the insole relieves the pressure from the more stressed areas of the foot.
- The insole controls the movement of the foot and rules two fundamental movements of the step, pronation and supination; if dysfunctional, they might be the main cause of certain biomechanical problems.
- It helps to compensate dysfunctional mechanical situations of the foot improving the functionality of the connected articulations (knees-hips-lower back…)
Even if the insole used together with customized footwear can be really helpful in the resolution of certain problems, it can not do miracles.
- it does not correct issues on the side of the foot (mainly caused by mechanical rubbing on the footwear)
- it helps to compensate the problem but it does not solve it, the insole can lighten the symptoms and prevent inflammations helping to slow down degenerative processes. For instance, Hallux valgus can be cured only through a surgery, but the insole together with a customized footwear can help to relieve from pain and to postpone the surgery for a long time.
- it can not relieve the foot for all kind of pain
- it takes up space inside the shoe and for this reason needs customized footwear. Specifically designed.
How much does a customized insole cost?
The cost of a customized insole might change due to the production technology.
The cost of a customized insole is around:
- 180,00 to 450,00 € for adult insoles
- 80,00 to 180,00 € for kids insoles
ORTHOPEDIC INSOLES FOR ADULTS
There are many pathologies connected to the foot that an adult can face during his life.
The foot is extremely important as it sustain the whole body.
What is also very important to mention is how the use of an insole can help an adult person to be relieved from localized pain in a short period of time, while in the long term it will bring a significant improvement to the posture of the whole body.
The main situations for which the use of an insole is recommended by Orthopedics are:
- Heel pain
- Flat foot
- Pronated foot
- Charcot foot
- Pes Cavus
- Heel Spur
- Diabetic foot
- Underpronated foot
- Hammer toes
- Morton’s neuroma
- Plantar fasciitis
- Genu valgus
- Genu varum
- Hallux valgus
Many of these pathologies are frequently simultaneously manifested, generating conditions which are hard to treat using a ready-made insole.
This is the reason why the insole should be customized, created following the mold of the foot of the user, choosing specific materials able to better distribute the postural forces.
ORTHOPEDIC INSOLES FOR KIDS
A kid with a bad walking attitude will probably be an adult suffering of back pain, knees and legs pain: our goal is to minimize this possibility.
It is very easy to assume that a customized orthopedic insole for kids will be very different from a customized orthopedic insole for adults.
Even if some pathologies can be the same, the creation process will be completely different.
A growing up body needs more attentions and many check-ups, in order to make sure that the feet will be always laying on the insole correctly.
Moreover, the customized orthopedic insole for kids can help to achieve a slightly corrective action which might be impossible in an adult.
Particular attention needs to be payed when it comes to growing feet: in this case the situation is extremely delicate and we have the responsibility to assist a problematic foot growing in the best way possible.
We have been creating customized insoles for adults to assist in the treating of these conditions for more then 30 years and our cobblers, operating together with the orthopedic technicians, developed skills and knowledge that help us with extreme customizations.